Marley Enjakovic coughs for FIVE years before doctors discover he swallowed small plastic toy
Boy, 8, coughs for FIVE years leading doctors to diagnose him with asthma or allergies – until they find a small plastic toy stuck in his throat
Marley Enjakovic is believed to have swallowed a plastic flower toy five years agoThe toy was stuck in his throat causing a constant cough and breathing problems
A little boy has undergone surgery to remove a plastic toy which has been lodged in his throat for as long as five years.
Marley Enjakovic, eight, from Adelaide, swallowed the tiny flower several years ago resulting in a constant cough and breathing difficulties.
After numerous incorrect diagnoses and worsening symptoms doctors discovered the toy stuck in his airway.
Marley Enjakovic (pictured) swallowed a plastic flower many years ago resulting in a constant cough and breathing difficulties
Surgeons discovered and removed a plastic flower from Marley’s throat (pictured)
In December Marley’s cough became so bad one day to the point where he was struggling to breathe, and was hastened to hospital.
He was admitted to ICU, where surgeons discovered and removed an arts-and-crafts plastic flower lodged in his throat.
The boy of very few words spoke to Sunrise on Tuesday morning from Melbourne’s Royal Children’s Hospital before having surgery to have his airway repaired.
When asked what it felt like having the piece of plastic stuck in his throat felt like, he replied ‘nothing’.
Marley’s mother Skye said her son had started to have coughing fits while he ate but as time went on he would cough ‘for hours upon hours’ and said ‘it was getting scary’.
It got to such a stage where Marley was struggling with weekend basketball and football games as he couldn’t keep his breath.
His mother was told it was asthma but says she knew it was more as the coughing was triggered by food and drink as well.
When the toy was finally discovered Skye said she was shocked but relieved.
Marley’s mother Skye said her son had started to have coughing fits while he ate but as time went on he would cough ‘for hours upon hours’ and said ‘it was getting scary’ after he swallowed the toy (example pictured)
‘I was absolutely shocked. but also really relieved, to be honest, because out of all these years I finally had an answer,’ she said.
‘My main concern at that point in time was that he was actually born with that condition.
‘Because if he was born with it, he would have had other issues. To know it was caused by a foreign body, it was a slight bit of relief for me.
‘My message to other parents is that if you feel like there is something wrong, just keep pushing for it.
‘I am so glad I did because it means I have him today.’
Share or comment on this article: