Obscenity case: Bombay High Court refuses immediate relief from arrest to Mahesh Manjrekar
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Friday (February 25) refused to grant any protection from arrest or coercive action to filmmaker Mahesh Manjrekar in a case related to showing obscene scenes involving minors in a Marathi film. The Mumbai Police had earlier this week registered an FIR against Manjrekar and other makers of the film ‘Naya Varan Bhat Loncha Kon Ne Koncha’ under the provisions of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offenses (POCSO) Act.
Manjrekar on Friday filed a petition in the High Court seeking quashing of the case and seeking interim protection from arrest.
However, a division bench headed by Justice SS Shinde declined to pass any order and adjourned the hearing on the petition till February 28. The recently released film reportedly contains sexual material involving minors.
The filmmaker’s lawyer Shirish Gupte argued that the purpose of the POCSO Act was to protect and protect children, their bodies and minds. Gupte said, “Nothing really happened to the boys in the film. It’s just a creation of art. The scenes shown in the trailer were never a part of the film and the trailer was removed from YouTube.”
He further told the court that custodial interrogation was not required in the case.
Assistant Public Prosecutors Madhavi Mhatre and Sangeeta Shinde opposed the plea and said, “An FIR has been registered at Mahim police station. There are serious charges against the accused under the POCSO Act.” Hearing this, the bench said, “We cannot give blanket security.