Shylah Rodden Rebel Coaster rollercoaster victim’s touching tribute to father Alan Rodden
The woman was horrifically injured when she was smashed by a rollercoaster had paid an emotional online tribute to her father just days before the shocking crash that left him in a vigil by her bedside.
Shylah Rodden, 26, is still in a serious condition after the devastating incident on the Rebel Coaster ride in Melbourne 11 days ago after she allegedly went on the tracks to retrieve her phone.
Eyewitnesses said she was carried nine meters into the air before plunging to the ground with appalling injuries.
Since then, her family has been by her side as she fights for life in Royal Melbourne Hospital, with her father Alan Rodden barely leaving her bedside.
Just three weeks before the life-changing accident, Ms Rodden hailed her dad’s devotion in a touching Father’s Day post on Facebook.
Shylah Rodden, horrifically injured when she was smashed by a rollercoaster, paid an emotional online tribute to her father just days before the shocking crash
Just three weeks before the life-changing accident, Shylah Rodden hailed her dad’s devotion in a touching Father’s Day post on Facebook
‘Happy Fathers Day to the most important person in the world!’ she posted on September 4 alongside a picture of her family enjoying a meal out together.
‘Thank you for putting up with my s*** 24/7 and always standing by my side even when life gets hard!
‘Love you forever and a day Dad.’
Friends and family adored Ms Rodden’s loving post, responding with love hearts and messages of support.
‘Oh Shy, that was absolutely beautiful words…love you, your dad and your sisters,’ posted one.
Ms Rodden was involved in three other accidents, including a serious car crash in February, 2019, and another where she flipped her car after hitting a truck in January, 2021
Horrifying footage shows Shylah Rodden (pictured in black) moments from being hit by the Rebel Coaster at the Melbourne Royal show on Sunday
Her father has been Ms Rodden’s rock in the wake of the crash, supporting her in hospital, expertly handling media inquiries and dealing with her legal issues.
Ms Rodden was involved in a series of car crashes in 2018, 2019 and 2021, prior to last month’s tragedy.
Ms Rodden’s family has now launched legal action at the County Court of Victoria for injuries she sustained from one of the accidents in January, 2018.
And her family are also now considering legal action against the rollercoaster operators over the latest accident.
Shylah Rodden’s condition is now listed as serious rather than critical
Shylah Rodden (left) and Anthony Bright in 2015. Mr Bright has been listed as the defendant in civil action
Daily Mail Australia can reveal Lalor man Anthony Bright has been listed as the defendant in the civil action over the 2018 accident.
Ms Rodden’s family filed a writ to protect her rights from the 2018 incident, claiming damages for injuries suffered by her in a transport accident as a result of the ‘negligence of Mr Bright, on or about January 29 that year’.
Mr Bright is seen pictured on social media with Ms Rodden in 2015, where the pair appeared comfortable together.
Daily Mail Australia is not suggesting Mr Bright has done anything wrong, only that he is listed as a defendant in the civil proceedings.
Shylah Rodden is fighting for life after being thrown nine meters into the air when she was struck by a rollercoaster last Sunday at the Royal Melbourne Show
The rollercoaster that struck Ms Rodden reopened just days after the sickening incident
On Friday, Arnold Thomas and Becker practice manager Aki Munir said Ms Rodden suffered serious injuries due to the ‘negligence of the defendant’.
‘It (the action) involves a transport accident and she sustained some significant injuries in that accident,’ Ms Munir told the Herald Sun.
‘The purpose of filing the writ is to preserve her entitlements, should anything happen to her.’
Ms Munir also said Ms Rodden’s family may pursue legal action against the Melbourne Royal Show and the operators of the Rebel Coaster ride for negligee.
On the day she was struck by the rollercoaster, Ms Rodden had been working at a friend’s stall at the show.
They had been on a break when the pair decided to go on a few rides to kill time.
It is understood she dropped her phone while on the rollercoaster and police believe Ms Rodden walked onto the tracks of the high-speed ride to retrieve the device.
Her father told Daily Mail Australia at the time his daughter had suffered life-changing injuries.
‘I can’t talk to my daughter. She’s going to be in a coma for quite a while,’ he said.
‘The injuries are horrific. Horrific. She’s brain damaged. It’s pelvic, her arms, legs, back, neck – there’s hardly a thing that’s not broken.
‘I just can’t work out how the hell so much damage has been done. Even the doctors have said they haven’t seen anything as bad as this for a long time.’
Police revealed last week the rollercoaster was traveling at 70km/h when she was hit.
Ms Rodden had to re-learn how to walk after she was involved in a horror crash in January 2021 when she flipped a car on the Western Ring Road in Melbourne after ploughing into a truck and a car.
She was not wearing a seatbelt and was flung from the car onto the road.
The young woman survived the crash but needed significant rehabilitation to get back on her feet and backed by her supportive parents, she managed to walk again.
Her grueling path to recovery came after yet another serious car crash in 2019.
A Melbourne Royal Show spokeswoman claimed ‘the safety and well-being of our visitors to the show continues to be our number one priority’.
The safety watchdog WorkSafe is in the process of determining if that statement is true.
The rollercoaster that struck her reopened just days after the sickening incident.
Show management declined to comment on whether new safety procedures had been adopted in the wake of it.